- Founding Principals, Jessica Cassman and Amber Takenouchi, have always considered the ocean to be home. A years-long drought in California combined with anticipated rising sea levels in Hawaii heightened awareness of water resources and associated impacts to the precious ocean amenity in both locations. Acknowledging that economic growth and business development in desirable locations is important and inevitable, we understand that doing development better is key to protecting the environment and maintaining blue oceans for generations to come.
- Our coral logo is important to us; not only are corals great indicators of water quality, but they are also ecosystem engineers. Coral colonies grow and thrive in synergy with their communities, environments, and resources. Blue Ocean Civil Consulting was born on October 1, 2015 with a commitment to apply a “coralized” approach to development.
At Blue Ocean Civil Consulting, We are committed to conserving healthy blue oceans with smart designs and strategic sustainable development from the planning stages through construction, and operation and maintenance.
Jessica Cassman is a Principal Engineer at Blue Ocean Civil Consulting. As a stormwater and water quality expert, she believes that sustainable development from design through construction and operation is key to maintaining healthy blue oceans. She is a Certified Floodplain Manager, a Qualified Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Developer and experienced Practioner, an Envision Sustainability Professional, and a LEED Accredited Professional.
Jessica was born in Hawaii and grew up in Northern California, the Philippines, and Nebraska. She considers the ocean her home and has travelled the world in search of the best ocean. Jessica graduated from the University of California, Davis with a degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering. When not at the beach or at work, Jessica enjoys applying her creativity to pottery & ceramics, succulent crafts and backyard farming.
Amber is a Principal Engineer at Blue Ocean Civil Consulting. With a career focused in site and land development, she believes that continuously innovating and applying sustainable design principles to projects is key to maintaining healthy blue oceans. She is a Qualified Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan Developer and Practioner, an Envision Sustainability Professional and a LEED Accredited Professional.
Amber was born and raised on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. Amber graduated from the University of Southern California with a degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering. No matter how complicated the problem, Amber recognizes the best possible solution in impressive time. She is enthusiastic about Blue Ocean’s contributions to the protection and restoration of Hawaii’s natural resources and beauty while helping to serve community needs. In her spare time, she enjoys volunteering, swimming, hiking, and traveling to the Big Island.
- Registered Professional Engineers – PE/RCE – State of California and State of Hawaii
- Qualified SWPPP Developers and Practitioners – QSD/QSP – State of California
- Envision Qualified Company and Envision Sustainability Professionals – ENV SP – Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure
- LEED Accredited Professionals – LEED AP – United States Green Building Council
- Certified Floodplain Manager – CFM – Association of State Floodplain Managers
- Women/Minority Business Enterprise (WMBE) – CPUC Supplier Clearinghouse
- Small Business Enterprise (SBE) – Los Angeles County Metro
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE/UDBE) – US Department of Transportation, California and Hawaii
- Women Owned Small Business (WOSB/EDWOSB) – US Small Business Administration